The Mona Lisa is famous because she's a race car driver. She speeds around the curves of her weird, unconventional landscape, leaving skid marks and dust everywhere. She's famous because she's a nurse. Sitting there with her odd smile, waiting for you to wake up so she can heal you of your illness. She's famous because she's a bungee jumper. Mona is wild and throws herself in your face saying, "Here I am, take me for what I am." She's famous because she's a man. Mona Lisa, as in Montey Lisarone, Italian chef who makes a mean spaghetti. The Mona Lisa is famous because nobody knows who the hell she is, which actually sounds like a relief. If I had privacy like that, I would be content. It would also be fun to hear stories of what and who my real identity is. It's like that stupid show Gossip Girl, "Who am I? You'll never catch me, xo-xo, Gossip Girl." Not as literal, but point made.
The first and main idea of who she is, is Lisa Del Giocondo, wife of Francesco Del Giocondo. It is argued that the painting was commissioned for a new home of theirs and to celebrate the birth of one of their sons. That's a good idea of who she could be, but truthfully, that's super boring. It seems like everyone is painted and then given their name is the title. LAME. If it was really the wife of Francesco Del Giocondo, it was simply be named Lisa Del Giocondo. Perhaps the painting is named the Mona Lisa because it is Lisa Del Giocondo, but Da Vinci didn't want anyone to know about it, because they were having an affair. Now that's an exciting story. Two-timing your husband for your husband's friend is some trifling baby momma drama, and given reality TV today, that kind of drama leads to good ratings. (Any reality show EXCEPT Jersey Shore, because I absolutely hate that show)
Another story behind who the Mona Lisa is, is Da Vinci as a woman. Well...that's cool I guess. I mean, I've always wondered what it would be like to be a man instead of a woman, but I don't think I'd paint a picture of it. Those should be quietly expressed thoughts, not publicly and famously. Though if I had to give my opinion on the painting itself, Da Vinci without facial hair, with eyebrows, and with breasts, he's not that hideous of a woman. He/She has potential, perhaps with highlights and a bit of rogue on his/her cheeks, to be a beautiful young lady.
The other scandalous possible identity of the Mona Lisa is one of Da Vinci's mistresses from Italy. In that case, WOOOOT! GO GET EM MACK-DADDY VINCI! What? Any quiet, sheltered, and slightly weird artist needs some nookie too, every once in awhile. Maybe he went a little overboard with painting a picture of her, but people do weird things when they are showing their affection...or gratitude to a "job" well done ; )
I think when he was painting her, he underestimated the publicity he would get from the style in which he painted his secret skank. If I was his mistress and saw the painting, especially after all the media hype, I'd be proud of the previous choices I had made.
All and all, Mona Lisa's got it made, for the most part. She is the woman, or man, she wants to be. Unfortunately for her, not many have had respectful thoughts of who she is, but compared to everyone knowing her real identity, and being all in her business, this is better than that. She's some one's wife, okay, that's humble. Just the housewife of a wealthy guy, and popped out a few kids, not a complete disaster. She's Da Vinci as a man. Think of it this way, she sees both sides of the spectrum. She has two cup sizes for two different body parts, making her diverse more than mentally. He/she is just your average, open-minded person, hopefully without a menstrual cycle. The Mona Lisa is Da Vinci's mistress. People might think of that as degrading, but she's capable of making her own decisions and who knows, they might be in love, but in a situation to not be able to be together publicly. Something is better than nothing. The Mona Lisa is what it is, and that can be argued many different ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment