Let's talk about Tinder. Since moving to NY, many people I have worked with have suggested trying Tinder to meet people. Specifically, to meet single men. So I downloaded the app and used it for one day. Here was my experience:
I "liked" someone. Twenty minutes later, that same person and I were linked up because he "liked" me as well. Then I received a message from him. Before sharing with all of you what he said, I will tell you what my profile looked like. First off, I am an honest person and don't want to make anyone feel like I am misleading. Therefore my profile was absolutely clear that I'm a single mom. I'd rather not link with anyone at all because of honesty than link with someone and then upset them for not being upfront. So my profile stated that I am a single mom. Simple and true.
So, I received a message from this man I linked with. All he said was, "I think moms are hot."
Yes. You're reading that correctly. I didn't respond and then immediately deleted the app. That was my experience with the overly praised Tinder.
Having shared this story with all of you, here are my top 5 reasons why I don't like Tinder and will never use it again.
-You literally "swipe" through other humans like a credit card at Target. Fast and without regret.
-Most of the time, the "swipe" is based solely off of the profile picture. Usually that "swipe" is done within 2 seconds of the first viewing. So, that picture better be of you in your Sunday best and with as much cleavage as possible or you're done.
-The infamous "swipe" is permanent and cannot be undone. So, hypothetically you "swipe" and think to yourself, "oh crap, I shouldn't have done that." You can't go back because that person has just been sent off into cyber Tinder world for another person. Can't relationships and experiences have more than one chance?
-Tinder feels like online shopping for humans, but with no user comments on the bottom of the page to tell you if the size really does matter or not. Everything is misleading.
-We are living in a technology dominant time right now. No one runs into each other at a coffee shop anymore. No one accidentally bumps into someone else, spills coffee and then spends the following five minutes apologizing profusely while somehow locking eyes and falling madly in love at first sight. That's just not how it happens anymore. So if you don't use Tinder, your chances seem even slimmer.
Meeting people is such a bitch. Especially at this time in my life. However, I refuse to fall into the Tinder trap. Ever. I will continue striving to accidentally spill my coffee on a complete stranger and then make it up to them by growing old together. C'mon universe, bring it on! My shaky hands and clumsy feet are ready.
No comments:
Post a Comment